Honor Virtutis Calcar
The Barnston Estate traces its lineage to shortly after the Norman Conquest. The lands were initially registered when Hugh de Berneston of Berneston and Worleston established formal records in what is modern day Wirral.
From about 1280 amalgamations through marriage ensured the enhancement of the Estate by incorporating the Gregge Estate at Hapsford, the Trafford Estate at Bridge Trafford with existing Barnston lands at Churton and Farndon.
William Barnston, a staunch Royalist was imprisoned by Cromwell and he had to pay £580- to regain his Estate in 1650. He also suffered the loss of numerous cottages razed to the ground as further punishment.
Successive Barnston custodians have been charged with the management of the estate over the years while, at the same time, serving their country in support of Wellington, or in the Crimean Campaign, The Indian Mutiny and in both World Wars.
The constant struggle against taxes, both inheritance and income, has whittled a once large Estate down to some 1850 acres today.
From 1980 a determined effort has been made to diversify away from its core agricultural base on which, at that time, the Estate was dependent for 90% of its income.
The modern Estate is better balanced but retains three of the best Cheshire dairy farms each managed by forward thinking young farmers with quality herds and higher than average milk yields.
Estate income now, however, is derived from a broader base including other agriculture, forestry, let residential and commercial properties with both retail, storage and manufacturing facilities. Other areas of diversification include telecommunication sites, composting and fishing.
Much of this has been achieved with the support of our agents Denton Clark and the various planning departments with enough vision to permit conversions and also new build opportunities to facilitate rural businesses staffed by local people thus enhancing the local community and economy.